Sunday, October 9, 2011

Finding Your Own Style of Korean Cooking

I was researching fernbracken and came upon this post. The author wants to cook and blog about every recipe in Growing Up in a Korean Kitchen. I remember watching "Julie and Julia" and being inspired to undertake a similar endeavor in regards to cooking. But I never saw myself being devoted to a specific cookbook.

Prior to watching that movie, I had thought about mastering a list of standard Korean recipes, finding the right combination of ingredients for me and tweaking them to my taste. That is a goal of mine, to find and adapt the recipes to my taste and know them by heart so that I can prepare them at whim. I have a good sense of my own visual taste and palate, so I know what to look for in Korean recipes.

I got a sense of this by spending hours and hours browsing through the many cookbooks available to me when I lived in Seoul. I would often go to the cookbook section of bookstores and just browse here and there, allowing my instincts to guide me. There are many wonderful cookbooks in Korean, but after trying a few, I have decided to search the web as there are so many wonderful resources online as well. And doing a search for recipes gives you a greater variety of choices to choose from. You can see how different home cooks chose to handle a recipe and get insight into the various ways one can prepare a certain dish. This can be encouraging for the beginner cook as well, giving one a greater sense of freedom to create and experiment.

I wouldn't worry too much about finding the perfect recipe. Just explore and experiment, take note of what you like, what worked, what didn't work, and proceed. As you continue on your journey of culinary creation, you will get a better sense of what you want in a dish and prepare them according to your taste.

Posted by tastingkorea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not spam the comments section with links unrelated to the post. If you have an informative link that is directly relevant to the topic, you may add it to your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...